How to Control Mosquitoes in Mississippi
Mosquito season is here. Learn how you can prevent mosquitoes in your yard this summer and enjoy your outdoor fun activities.
Preventing Mosquitoes in Your YardSpring is a favorite season of many. The warm air and beautiful sunny days are a welcome change after a long dreary winter. Unfortunately, spring also means the beginning of the dreaded mosquito season. In Mississippi, mosquito season typically runs from April to October. It’s a long season, and if you don’t plan ahead you may have a yard that is overrun with mosquitoes before you know it.
What steps can I take to reduce mosquitoes around my home?Start early! Don’t wait until you are surrounded by swarms of mosquitoes. Get started on mosquito reduction steps before they get out of control, including calling a professional if the infestation becomes more than you can handle.
Eliminate standing water on the property Mosquitoes breed in standing water, so the first thing you should do is identify any areas of standing water and either eliminate them or empty them daily. Mosquitoes only need a small amount of water to deposit their eggs. Common places that collect water include birdbaths, wading pools, flower pots, buckets, old tires, children’s toys, and wheelbarrows. Cleaning your gutters so water can flow freely as well as covering rain barrels will also minimize standing water. Filling in low lying areas in the yard that collect water and removing hollow logs and stumps on your property will also help to eliminate your standing water issues. Also if you have a swimming pool, make sure you keep it well-maintained. Failure to keep your pool clean will have mosquitoes drawn to the stagnant water. If using a pool cover, dump any water that accumulates on the top during rainstorms.
Repair windows and cracks in exterior walls to prevent mosquito entry into your home. Inspect all window screens and repair or replace damaged screens with 16-18 mesh. Seal any cracks in the home’s foundation and exterior walls as well.
Repair Leaky Spigots Leaky spigots will pool on the ground underneath so they should be repaired or replaced.
Install Bug Lights Although bug lights don’t keep mosquitoes away, they will make your property somewhat less attractive during the evening hours.
Questions About Mosquitoes
- Do “natural” mosquito sprays and control sprays work? The discussion about if such sprays are effective is mostly anecdotal. Consumer Reports tested several natural sprays and recommended at least one eucalyptus-based spray, but noted it has not been comprehensively tested on kids. If homeowners prefer, they can try them and switch to a professional pest control company if needed.
- Should I use mosquito repellent on my skin when I am outside?
- According to the CDC, repellents containing the chemical called DEET are the best protection against mosquito bites. If using a DEET spray, the CDC recommends only using it outdoors, and washing skin with soap and water after going inside.
What if I’ve Tried to Prevent Mosquitoes and it’s Not Enough?Although following the advice to prevent mosquitoes will help reduce mosquito infestation, sometimes it’s not enough. Neighbors may not be as vigilant as you or it may just be a particularly bad season. If you are struggling, it’s best to call experienced professionals to explore further options. A professional will come to your house to evaluate your mosquito problem and present you with a solution tailored to your needs.
Professional mosquito control can utilize one or multiple approaches that include:
- Applying a water-repellent, wax-based spray that clings to the vegetation and structures around your yard. Mosquitoes in your yard will be eliminated within 24 hours with treatments lasting about 30 days
- Installing an automatic misting system that sprays pesticides one to two times a day from nozzles attached to fences or buildings
- For special events, a professional can visit your yard 24-48 hours before an event to apply a repellant that will keep your event mosquito-free and your guests happy
To read more about our mosquito control program, see our mosquito control information page.
Hear from a few people we have worked with...“The technician we got was Mr. David Hall, and I was thoroughly impressed with him and his professionalism!! I called one day and they were there the next day!! He did an excellent job and was so concerned and knowledgeable!! I will definitely use them again!!” ~ Kelly Rooker
10/15/2022 - As the temperature outside begins to fall, creatures of all shapes and sizes start to seek out a warm, sheltered place to take refuge for the wint...
12/17/2020 - Mississippi?s warm temperatures benefit many things: plants, outdoor recreation, and, unfortunately, cockroaches. According to an article in Envir...
Get rid of pests fast with professional help from our experienced team!
Call or request a quote online